Competition is rife, you meet the requirements on paper however so do the other shortlisted candidates the employer/recruiter is interviewing.
Here are several possible reasons why you might not be getting shortlisted further for the job.
During the interview:
1. You have not researched the company or the job spec – immediate disadvantage – lack of interest in position/company
2. No excitement, energy, enthusiasm or passion shown for the company or the position you have applied for
3. Poor handshake (not firm, soft like a fish) – lack of confidence – unassertive
4. Poor verbal communication skills: Soft spoken, unclear or mumbling
5. Lack of eye contact with the interviewer – lack of confidence
6. Talking too much/over explaining, overselling yourself – answer the question directly and to the point
7. Too brief – giving one word answers, interviewer needs to drag the information out of you
8. Misrepresenting any of the following on your CV: qualifications, experience and the duration of your employment.
During the interview and checking process the interviewer is able to pick up these discrepancies.
9. Complaining about your current or previous employers – unprofessional
All of the above points are within your control. With work you can practice, and make a change to improve your interviewing skills.
For more tips follow us: @asiepersonnel | visit: www.asie.co.za